The 1st Primary School of Rethymno or “Turks” , as it is usually called, is the oldest school building in Rethymno. This area housed Ottoman girls school founded in 1795 . The building that exists today was constructed in 1890 and replaced the older . The entrance is next to the church of St. Francis . The Turks narrowed the Venetian exterior doorway building a smaller inside. Between the two doorways there is a striking representation arbor . On the bases of the pilasters saved two damaged anaglypsa lions , while higher are the symbols of the Ottoman Empire , standing with crescent .